Thursday 28 October 2010

A Game of Cards: Thoughts

So, the metaphorical rollercoaster cart has reached the end of the three-point-lit camera tracks that make up the Moving Image section of the first half-year, tumbling down into Aitch-Tee-Em-Hell and the Interactive Media section.

What an extensive metaphor that was.

So, the previous post has the final (ish) submission, a minute-ish-long film in tribute to the various 'Silver Age' films such as Charlie Chaplin skits, characterised by their black and white colouration, slightly sped-up action due to the manually-turning cameras (I even credited our camerawoman, Jessica Fung, as a Deguerrotype Operator, hyuck), use of intertitles for speech, ragtime piano music, and other miscellanious themes and nuances that are hallmarks of the style.

I think I managed to get a good deal of these features into the film with varying degrees of success.

The biggest fault was possibly that due to the small amount of footage that had to be sped up for the desired effect, about 40% of the clip is comprised of the text intertitles. However, it still comes to a desired length, and fits well with the music, especially at the end.

I tried to make the scene as comical as possible, to contrast the seriousness of the original footage. The cheery tune of music and ridiculousness of most the text was part of this. I tend to get a bit of a smile from the suprisingly apt timing on the music right at the end of the clip.

Was my first time properly using Premier Pro, but nothing that an hour or so's combined Googling, hitting random buttons and drinking tea couldn't fix.

Altogether, and as is my way, I tried to do something pretty heavily different. And for once, I don't think I made too massive a mess out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment